Because the needs of a child with special needs are different and more basic than those of other children, their parents are under constant stress. Parents of children with special needs who have all the responsibilities as the primary caregiver of the child are more likely to be emotionally depressed without adequate family and social support.
If the parents of such a child are under emotional pressure all the time, then the effect can fall directly on the child. According to a study published in the Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders in November 2006, high levels of parental stress in children with special needs can interfere with a child’s intervention plan and therapy. What are the basic needs of a child?
In addition, stress can have a negative effect on the marital life of a child whose basic needs are met and their relationship with other people.
What kind of changes can be caused by stress?
- Physical changes – rapid heartbeat, high blood pressure, rapid breathing, muscle tension, sweating, headaches, etc.
- Changes in thinking – Negative thoughts (e.g. I fail as a parent), inattentive, excessive thinking, indecision, etc.
- Behavior changes – changes in sleep, changes in eating habits, restlessness, trying to escape from problems, loss of self-confidence, etc.
- Changes in feelings – anger, fear, anxiety, depression, etc.
The cause of stress for the parents of a child with special needs-
- Not accepting reality – Many parents cannot accept that their child has a basic special need. As a result, they go through situations like hesitation, conflict, anger, depression etc. Since they can’t accept the reality, they don’t want to go into any kind of therapy with their child.
- Many parents do not take care of themselves while giving basic time to their children. According to psychologist Dr. Wendy Blumenthal, many mothers are so preoccupied with giving time to their special needs child that they do not sleep well, are always anxious, and always consult a doctor, psychologist and therapist with their child to fix their child’s problems.
- Loneliness and Exhaustion – Many parents stop communicating with people close to them because they are too busy and anxious about their child. Many suffer from inferiority complex in taking their children to relatives’ homes or social gatherings. As a result, the baby as well as the baby’s parents begin to suffer from loneliness, basically, and become exhausted.
- According to a 2010 US survey, the financial stress of parents of children with basic needs of a particular child has a negative effect on their mental health, which is about three and a half times higher than that of parents of normally developing children.
- A 2014 study found that a variety of behavioral problems (such as aggressive behavior) in a child with a basic special needs is one of the main causes of depression in their parents.
. Many parents focus on the child’s needs at first, but then they become frustrated because things do not change quickly. As a result, they begin to neglect their baby’s needs.
. Many parents want to forget that they have a child with special needs by giving them more or full time than the basic development of a child is normal. However, even if the parents pay more attention to the other child, they still feel guilty for paying less attention to the child with special needs.
How to take care of yourself to reduce stress-
To reduce stress you must take care of yourself How do you know you’re not taking care of yourself? Ask yourself the following questions:
- What are you doing for yourself every day?
- At what point did you spend time with your friends?
- When was the last time you spent time alone with your spouse?
- Can you get enough sleep?
If the answer to all these questions is no, then you are not taking care of yourself.
In what ways can you take care of yourself?
- Basically seek the help of other family members if needed. Everyone in the family can share different responsibilities. This will reduce the pressure on one. Many are embarrassed to ask others for help. But you need to think about your own physical and mental health and seek help directly from other family members.
- Basically say ‘no’ if necessary. Don’t say yes to everything to make others happy. If you do not want to do something basically do not do it directly.
- Stay in touch with relatives, friends and office colleagues to overcome loneliness. Invite them to your home. Go to their house yourself. Also take part in various social events basically.
- Create social networks. Other parents whose children also have special basics. Keep in touch with those in need. Try to find out how others are taking care of themselves as well as the child. Share your experience too.
- If the child’s physical well-being and other things are favorable, you can go somewhere with the child.
6. Take the time out of your busy schedule to do basic things that make you happy. Such as- reading books, drawing pictures, gardening etc.
Children with a child’s basic special needs are not as normal as 8-10 children. They come to earth with some imperfections or acknowledge the cruelty of the earth. All these children are called children with special needs.
Children with a special basic need do not have the opportunity to develop themselves because of the people in our society or because of the cruel rules of society.
Obstacles to the development of children with special basic needs in society and ways to overcome them:
There are many children around us who are not like normal children.
Children’s behavior and physique are slower and more inconsistent than usual. There are many of them who can’t see well, some have difficulty walking,
There are some children who cannot speak properly and there are many who cannot hear others. There are some people with intellectual disabilities who behave like children even when they are very old. We refer to the above mentioned children as children with disabilities or special privileges.
We must take on some responsibility for the privileged or disabled children around us.
Obstacles to the development of children with special basic needs in the society are mentioned below:
First of all, the main reason for their obstacles is the family. The family should take remedial action for the child as soon as possible In this case, the child’s relationship with the parents plays an important role 3
Society is the second obstacle to development in society. Because the future of these children depends on the concept of social meditation If society considers them unworthy and undesirable, they will have no place to stand Therefore, it is necessary to build public opinion for these children
Peers are another obstacle Apparently, peers don’t want to mix with them Which hinders the development of society
Discrimination and prejudice are one of the major obstacles to the development of children with special basic needs in society. There is a belief in all walks of life that disability is a curse and a punishment for sin.
Such a belief hinders the development of children with special basic needs in society. Ways to remove barriers to the development of children with special basic needs in society – We can treat children with special needs in a friendly manner. Through various vocational trainings, children with special needs can be developed as skilled citizens.
With all the encouragement and accompaniment we can build their confidence.
We can accompany them to various social events.
Depending on the type of disability, children with disabilities can participate in different sports. For example, singing, storytelling and other sports in which they can participate.
We can come forward to help children with special basic needs in many ways with a positive attitude towards them. We can try to build a good family relationship with children with special needs. In this way we can turn the children with a special basic need into a community resource by adopting special plans for them.